Monday 11 December 2017

Bailey cried and said 'I went too far', jury is told

Ian Bailey
Ian Bailey

JOURNALIST Ian Bailey was upset and crying when he put his arms around a man and said "I did it, I did it", a High Court jury has been told.

Richie Shelley said that when he asked Mr Bailey what it was he had done, replied: "I went too far."

Mr Shelley said this happened some time after 2am on January 1, 1999, at Mr Bailey's home at the Prairie, Schull, Co Cork, after the journalist had been looking at newspaper cuttings about the murder of Sophie Toscan du Plantier.


Asked what he believed Mr Bailey was talking about, Mr Shelley said: "I think the murder was heavy on his mind because it was the main subject of the night."

Mr Bailey was "obsessed" with the murder and had earlier produced a shoebox of cuttings about it, said Mr Shelley. His understanding of Mr Bailey's remarks was that he was admitting to murder.

Mr Shelley, then aged 24, said he was shocked by what Mr Bailey said and would remember it "until I die".

He was giving evidence in the continuing action by Mr Bailey against the Garda Commissioner and the State over the conduct of the investigation into the murder of Ms Toscan du Plantier, whose body was found in Schull on December 23, 1996.

Mr Shelley did not accept a suggestion by Ronan Munro, for Mr Bailey, that what his client was upset about was people saying he had committed the murder.

There was no mention that night of violent incidents towards Mr Bailey's partner, Jules Thomas, he told counsel.

Asked about Ms Thomas' evidence that Mr Shelley was so drunk he could not have accurately remembered events that night, he said he did not accept that.

He described as "absolute lies" evidence by shopkeeper Marie Farrell that he had told her he could not remember what Mr Bailey had said.

Someone from RTE's Prime Time had contacted Mr Shelley last year and said Ms Farrell had told them she had met him some years previously and he had said Bailey did not do it and the guards "twist everything".

Mr Shelley said he had not said that, his conversation with Ms Farrell was about her saying she had been offered money by newspapers.


The court also heard from Geraldine O'Brien, who was working in Ms Farrell's shop on June 28, 1997 when Ian Bailey came in looking to speak with Ms Farrell, who was "quite nervous" and asked her to contact Det Gda Jim Fitzgerald, she said.

Between November 2013 and February 2014, she said Ms Farrell, during a phone conversation, had said there was a case coming up in which Mr Bailey was involved.

Ms Farrell said she had been told he would get substantial money, and Ms Farrell would get some of that too, Ms O'Brien added.

She agreed that Ms Farrell had denied making those comments.


Promoted articles

Entertainment News