| 2.8°C Dublin

Armed gardai tackle petrol station raider

ARMED gardai, backed-up by the elite regional response unit, have arrested a man who held up a filling station with a gun in Co Tipperary in the early hours of this morning.

The incident happened at the Applegreen shop in Greenane on the outskirts of Clonmel at 4.30am.

The shop doors were closed, leaving customers the use of a hatch in order to pay for goods.

The lone raider approached the hatch of the filling station and threatened a staff member with the weapon.

He was unable to get cash from the shocked worker who was protected within the shop, but he did escape with boxes of cigarettes.

The worker at the busy filling station raised the alarm as the raider escaped on foot.

Local uniformed gardai observed the man making his way towards the centre of Clonmel town and tracked his movements visually and by using CCTV.

As the suspect neared the centre of the town a planned operation involving armed local units and the regional response team was put in place to disarm and arrest him.

Gardai were not sure if the weapon was real or imitation but had to work on the assumption that it was loaded and potentially lethal.


An area in the centre of Clonmel was secured and cleared and the suspect was confronted when he arrived at Sarsfield Street in the town.

The man, who is in his early 20s and from the town, gave up his weapon as soon as he was told to by gardai.

He was arrested and brought to Clonmel Garda station for questioning.

There were no injuries in the incident, either at the filling station or when the raider was arrested.

Meanwhile, in Edgeworthstown, Co Longford, a man is recovering from injuries he received in an aggravated burglary in the town yesterday.

Three men knocked at the door of his home on Chapel Lane at around noon. When he opened it he was overpowered and forced back inside.

The man, who is in his mid 40s, was assaulted during the burglary and locked into a toilet while the burglars searched his house and stole some of his belongings before leaving.

The shocked victim managed to free himself from and contacted local gardai.

He was later treated for minor injuries.

One man, aged 26, was arrested a short time later in the town and brought to Granard Garda station for questioning.

The search for the other two gang members is continuing and an investigation into the case is ongoing.