Monday 21 May 2018

Armed gardai at court as Monk's nephew remanded in custody

Mr Coakley was extradited
Mr Coakley was extradited

A Dublin man has been remanded in custody following his extradition from the UK on knife possession and motor theft-related charges.

Nathan Coakley (23), aka Nathan Hutch - a nephew of Gerry 'The Monk' Hutch - from Buckingham Street Upper in the north inner city, faces his next hearing today.

Four members of the Garda Armed Support Unit, who were holding machine guns, were on duty at the courtroom door during his brief hearing before Judge Grainne Malone at a special late sitting of Dublin District Court last night.

He faces three charges: unlawful use of a stolen motor vehicle, unlawful possession of a knife as a weapon, and possession of stolen keys at Ringsend Road, Dublin 4, on December 24, 2015.

Garda Bryan Hunt told Judge Malone the accused was arrested at Dublin Airport, while travelling in the name of Nathan Hutch. Gda Hunt, who is attached to Irishtown Garda Station, told the court the man was arrested on foot of district court warrants issued on June 6.


He was transported to Ballymun Garda Station, where he was charged with the three offences.

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has directed trial on indictment in relation to all matters, Gda Hunt added.

This means the case will be sent forward to a higher court.

The garda said the purpose of the remand was to await preparation of a book of evidence, but it would not be ready at the next hearing.

Defence solicitor Simon Fleming said there was no application for bail and there was consent to his client being remanded in custody to appear at Cloverhill District Court today.

Judge Malone noted the DPP's direction and said that the State had six weeks to complete the book of evidence. Gda Hunt said he had been told it would be ready in two weeks.

There was an application for legal aid, which was granted, and Mr Coakley said he wanted Mr Fleming to represent him.

Gda Hunt said Mr Coakley was extradited from the UK on a European Arrest Warrant. He also said the accused had consented to the extradition.

The garda said the accused had been held in custody for six days, before Mr Coakley spoke up and said: "A week and two days".

Promoted articles

Entertainment News