Thursday 22 March 2018

Abuse claims turn actors against Allen

Woody Allen is on receiving end of actors’ backlash
Woody Allen is on receiving end of actors’ backlash

A growing number of actors are distancing themselves from Woody Allen and his next film, raising questions over his future in the industry.

In a Hollywood newly sensitive to allegations of sexual misconduct, claims by the prolific 82-year-old filmmaker's adopted daughter Dylan Farrow that he sexually assaulted her in the attic of their family's Connecticut home in 1982 are resulting in actors turning their back on the director.

The 32-year-old has repeatedly accused Allen of molesting her when she was seven - claims the director has always denied and over which police took no action.


On Tuesday, Timothee Chalamet said he would donate his salary from Allen's new comedy A Rainy Day In New York, out soon, to three charities fighting sexual harassment and abuse.

In recent weeks, a number of actors have in distanced themselves from Allen or vowed that they would not work with him again.

They include Chalamet's co-stars Rebecca Hall and Griffith Newman, Mira Sorvino (Mighty Aphrodite), Ellen Page (To Rome With Love) and David Krumholtz (Wonder Wheel). "If I had known then what I know now, I would not have acted in the film (To Rome With Love). I will not work for him again," Greta Gerwig told The New York Times last week.

However, Alec Baldwin, who worked with Allen on Alice, Blue Jasmine and To Rome With Love, said the "renunciation of him and his work" was "unfair and sad".

It comes after he criticised the MeToo movement, warning of a possible "witch-hunt" atmosphere.

The rising chorus suggests the road ahead for Allen may be particularly challenging, even for a director whose personal controversies have for decades made him both beloved and reviled.

Financial support has not previously waned but fielding a starry cast next time may prove difficult.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News