herald

Friday 17 August 2018

A 14-YEAR-OLD Dublin boy charged with attacking his father during a domestic row has been banned from his own locality.

A 14-YEAR-OLD Dublin boy charged with attacking his father during a domestic row has been banned from his own locality.

After spending more than two weeks in a detention centre he was allowed take up bail once child welfare agencies find him somewhere to live, a judge ordered yesterday.

The Dublin Children's Court heard at his first court appearance on September 2 that his parents were not willing to take him home.

As a result, he was remanded in custody and the case resumed yesterday. Judge John O'Connor was told the Child and Family Agency (CFA) are sourcing accommodation for the teenager, who was accompanied to court by his lawyer and his parents.

Solicitor Shane Reynolds for the CFA said psychiatric reports on the youngster had been received and funding has been made available for a placement for him.

The case resumes next week and the teenager was told he will have to remain in a detention centre until the CFA's accommodation proposals are a ready. The judge also said that if gardai are satisfied with the CFA's address for the boy, he can take up bail ahead of his next hearing.

The judge also told the teenager would have to stay away from the locality of his family home as a condition of bail.

The boy thanked the judge who explained that the court order was being made as a result of the charge which has been brought. The youngster is accused of assault causing harm to his father following an alleged incident at their home in August, but he has not yet entered a plea.

Judge O'Connor has heard that it was claimed that during the incident the teenager "grabbed his father by the throat and pushed him against the wall causing bruising."

The teenager had gone missing for days afterwards and would not reveal where he had been staying in that time.

The court heard that after he was charged with assault causing harm to his father, the boy had replied: "I don't care."

The teen's parents were not willing to take their son home and nothing could be done to rectify the situation, the boy's barrister had said on September 2, the day the case came before the court.

"In terms of his behaviour at home, he has reached a stage in which they feel they can no longer have him at home," counsel had added.

Solicitor Shane Reynolds, for the Child & Family Agency (CFA), had also said earlier that in the past social services had got involved but the boy refused to engage with them. The parents had been given options but then became happy for their son to be at home, he had also said.

Judge O'Connor has said the boy was vulnerable and but had supportive parents. "They cannot cope with him, that is essentially the basis of this," he had also commented when the case first came before the juvenile court. In addition to the assault allegation, the teenager is facing another charge for an alleged breach of the peace.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News