Sunday 18 March 2018

€30m funds crisis halts Ballymun's big revamp

THE completion of the multi-million euro Ballymun regeneration project is now in the balance because of a major shortfall in funding.

Construction work has been stalled due to a shortfall of €30m in Government funds.

And the stoppage has fuelled fears among local representatives that part of the project will now not go ahead at all

The Department of the Environment has refused to confirm whether entire developments are in jeopardy, claiming that it is "fully committed" to the regeneration project.

However, a circular between Fine Gael representatives in north Dublin, seen by the Herald, confirms that a €30m shortfall has been identified which "will result in failure to complete key infrastructural items if not addressed".

The regeneration project has been operating for 14 years and has resulted in almost all the old-style flats being replaced.

However the disclosure of a shortfall in funding throws fresh doubt over the hopes of 52 families scheduled to be given permanent housing accommodation.

And the lack of funding is likely to mean previous pledges to move all remaining 227 families living in high-rise flats will now not be fulfilled.

Fine Gael councillor Bill Tormey told the Herald: "This news of a serious shortfall in cash is devastating for the people of Ballymun and north Dublin."


Fianna Fail councillor Paul McAuliffe said families had been left "in limbo".

"The prospect of this not being completed with be a disaster for the community."

The Department of the Environment said: "The department is in discussions with BRL in relation to a completion strategy for the Ballymun Project. The department is fully committed to the Ballymun project and to meeting the housing needs of the people there."


Promoted articles

Entertainment News