| 8.3°C Dublin

12 charged with drugs offences after garda sting

Twelve people who were arrested in Drogheda in Co Louth as part of a major crackdown on the sale and supply of drugs in the town appeared in court yesterday.

Gardai made the arrests on Wednesday and Thursday as part of Operation Corona, which has been targeting those dealing controlled drugs.

The four-month covert operation "has dismantled a number of significant drug distribution networks operating in the Drogheda area," according to a garda spokesman.


A quantity of drugs was seized during the operation, which gardai believe were intended for distribution in the Louth and Meath regions.

Local gardai were assisted in the undercover operation by officers from the Garda National Drugs Unit (GNDU).

The 12 who appeared before the court were charged with a variety of drugs offences, including having small amounts for sale or supply. All have addresses in Drogheda, Co Louth.

The alleged offences took place on dates between January and May of this year at various locations in Drogheda.

Those before the courts were: Curtis Traynor (20), Lia Breagha, the Twenties; Rigontis Zilberts (48) of The Court, Martello Village; Kenneth Heeney (34) of Boice Court; Vicky Kelly (32), Moneymore; Terry Kelly (33) also of Moneymore and Artis Guogis (37) of The Court, Martello Village.

Also before the court were: Phillip Leonard ( 31) of Beechwood Drive, Marley's Lane; Tariq Stowe (26) of St Laurence's Drive; Patrick Coyle (46) of Marley's Court; Patrick Judge of Ballsgrove (47); Albert Durnin (33) of Beamore and and James Reilly (48) of Windmill Road.


Judge Patrick Clyne adjourned all cases to the district court sitting on January 23. Each accused was remanded on bail on their own bond and must sign on twice a week at Drogheda garda station.

In the case of Tariq Stowe a curfew from 10pm to 7am was also made a condition of bail.

A 17-year-old arrested as part of the same operation has not been charged but a file is being prepared for the DPP.

While a 14th person who was arrested as part of the investigation was due to appear before a sitting of Drogheda District Court last night.