herald

Thursday 20 September 2018

Michelin chef slates cook book flood

AN award-winning chef has hit out at the number of "dinner party cook books" flooding the Irish market.

Only weeks after his first cook book was released, Michelin-starred Ross Lewis criticised the production of cook books with "no purpose".

The restaurateur, who has been running Dublin's Chapter One for 21 years, said cashing in on a chef's name is not a recipe for success.

"I can't foresee myself doing another one," he told the Herald.

"I wouldn't mind doing something more light-hearted, but a book needs to have a purpose. I wouldn't do one just for the sake of doing it."

MILESTONE

Lewis and co-owner Martin Corbett marked 21 years in business with the launch of Chapter One: An Irish Food Story earlier this month.

Featuring 90 of the restaurant's most popular recipes from over the years, the book was a joint enterprise between the pair and took a year to create.

Lewis, who said the idea behind the book was to mark the birthday milestone, added: "I think the world is too full of dinner party cook books. I did this book because it was 21 years of my work.

"The one thing you learn is that if you are going to do another one, you need to have a process in place, so you need to be ready for it."

Despite his hesitance about future ventures into publishing, Lewis feels the book will be popular among foodies this Christmas. "The reaction has been great and there's been a lot of demand," he said. "There have been a lot of calls and a lot of people popping in.

"I think it's going to do well as a Christmas present."

Lewis took part in last week's Dublin Literary Festival when he treated fans to a Michelin star cooking lesson.

"It's nice to get exposure on that front," he said. "Chapter One is always a source of pride and joy."

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News