"MOTIVATION is what gets you started; habit is what keeps you going." Let the inspirational words of former world mile record holder, Jim Ryan, ring in your ears as you set your goals to finish our great race.
The first hesitant steps you have already taken will be the motivation for moving forward. Now is the time to make it habitual and set out a programme each week that you should not deviate from, and follow the schedule that suits your particular lifestyle and needs.
Most people have their own unique way of moving so here are a few tips to improve on nature.
1. Run relaxed at all times: train don't strain. Relax your whole body, in particular your shoulders, face and neck, so that your muscles do not freeze up, jarring you all over.
2. Finish each session knowing that you can carry on for another few minutes.
3. Never get into breathing difficulties.
4. Establish a regular pattern of warming up in your tracksuit by walking or jogging for 5-10 minutes, followed by 5-10 minutes stretching.
5. Cool down afterwards using the same formula.
6. Sip water before, during and after exercise to avoid dehydration and prevent the onset of tiredness or exhaustion.
7. Go to it ladies, until you reach a 'runner's high' -- that feeling of euphoria and excitement that you'll get even after only a few weeks training.
Coach -- Dundrum South Dublin AC
For Training Schedules: www.florawomensminimarathon.ie.