| 7.3°C Dublin

TV star's girl was a ball of flame, says rescuer

A heroic father has described the moment he saved Claudia Winkleman's daughter when her Halloween costume caught fire.

Jamie Poulton (45) reportedly suffered second-degree burns as he plucked eight-year-old Matilda from a group of children and put out the flames with his bare hands.

The restaurant owner from London said he was just a few feet away when he saw the youngster's black wizard outfit turn into "a crackling ball of flame".

"All the children were wearing the same kit. It was like a potential horror film in front of me, because they were all going to go," he told reporters.

"This material just keeps reigniting and re-burning. And it is sticky, so it melts on the skin. It doesn't cinder. It remains hot. It was horrific to be honest."

Mr Poulton, a father-of-two, insisted he was not a hero.

"Any parent would have done exactly the same thing so I don't think there is anything heroic about it," he told the newspaper.

Matilda is thought to have been out trick-or-treating in Halloween costume when she came into contact with flames from a candle.

Presenter Winkleman (42) and her film producer husband Kris Thykier said in a statement that they are hopeful that their daughter will make a full recovery.

Zoe Ball replaced her on last night's episode of Strictly Come Dancing, and whether Winkleman returns to the show in the future has yet to be confirmed.

hnews@herald.ie


Privacy