herald

Wednesday 22 August 2018

Sheen show pulled after radio rant

In the wake of an incendiary radio interview with Two and a Half Men star Charlie Sheen, CBS and Warner Bros Television said they are ending production on TV's top-rated sitcom for the season.

The decision was based on the "totality of Charlie Sheen's statements, conduct and condition", the companies said in a joint statement. The show's future was not addressed.

Production had been suspended in January to allow Charlie to seek rehabilitation. Earlier, Warner and Sheen's publicist, Stan Rosenfield, said the series would resume taping next week with Sheen.

That was before the 45-year-old actor's rambling, often vitriolic radio interview with host Alex Jones in which Sheen blasted Two and a Half Men producer Chuck Lorre and other targets including Alcoholics Anonymous.

The abrupt decision to pull the plug on additional episodes of the lucrative sitcom came after Sheen's increasingly erratic behaviour, including an earlier interview in which he claimed he had sought to return to work but was barred by producers.

In his interview with Jones, Charlie repeatedly evoked violent images and ideas. Speaking of himself, he said he has "magic and poetry in my fingertips, most of the time".

He did not go silent after the CBS and Warner announcement. In what TMZ dubbed an "open letter" from Charlie that the website posted, the actor further insulted Lorre. Sheen, improbably, also called on his fans to start a protest movement for him.

"I urge all my beautiful and loyal fans who embraced this show for almost a decade to walk with me side-by-side as we march up the steps of justice to right this unconscionable wrong," he wrote.

© Press Association

Promoted articles

Entertainment News