herald

Tuesday 21 November 2017

No Frontiers wasn't victim of budget cuts - RTE

RTE has hit back at claims that No Frontiers was axed due to financial reasons.

The station has confirmed that the long-running travel programme fronted by Kathryn Thomas (31) will not be returning to the schedule this autumn.

However, an insider said there was no truth to reports that the decision not to bring back the 12-year-long programme was down to cutbacks.

She said it was motivated by the desire to freshen up the schedule and replace it with some home-produced programming.

"This is not the case. While RTE are always budget conscious and strive to give the TV licence payers value for money, I can say that the show was not cancelled due to a budgetary decision," she said.

"The show ran for 12 successful years and was our longest-running lifestyle series. It was purely based on an editorial decision -- the time had come for a change and we felt it was an opportunity to refresh and revive the schedule."

She added that the show, made by Frontier Films, had been a great success for RTE over the past 12 series but the move was made not to recommission it for 2011.

Meanwhile, the show's star Kathryn told the Herald how she was reluctant to say too much about the news out of respect for the late Gerry Ryan.



privilege

"This is something that I had known about for a while but I wasn't in a position to talk about, and over the last few days it just didn't seem appropriate to comment given Gerry's passing," she said. "My thoughts and prayers are with Gerry's family."

The Carlow native, who also fronts Winning Streak, went on to describe it as an amazing privilege to travel all over the world and visit exotic destinations.

She also thanked her loyal viewers who tuned in religiously for their weekly dose of escapism.

"Sometimes you just know when it's right to say goodbye to something and embrace new challenges, and I'm really looking forward to new projects that are in the pipeline for this autumn," she added.

In a recent interview with the Herald, she had hinted that a big change may be in store for her career-wise.

And she said that she had become accustomed to never knowing what was next on the cards for her, given the uncertain nature of the business.

mfinn@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News