herald

Tuesday 21 August 2018

I'm mature enough now for RTE One - Lucy

LUCY Kennedy has revealed that she has finally "qualified" and is mature enough for RTE One, after years as a host on sister channel RTE Two.

THE 34-year-old, who is due to give birth to her second baby within weeks, told the Herald that she now feels brave enough to audition for upcoming telly gigs on RTE One.

"For the last seven years, everything I have done for the broadcaster has been on RTE Two. I probably need to grow up and act slightly more mature -- so now I'm going to be doing both, I'm finally making the step over," she told the Herald.

"I've qualified for RTE One now I'm a mum, whereas it was never really an option before. I feel ready to take it on -- as a natural progression," she said.

"I've always been focused on light entertainment and I seem to attract a younger market of 18-34 year-olds, because I'm like a big kid myself. So what I'd love to do is bring that market to the station.

"I'm not going to leave RTE Two by any means, but I just want to try something new and a little more serious.

"That doesn't mean you'll see me try to take over from Miriam O'Callaghan on Prime Time or fill in for Anne Doyle though," she joked.

As the Herald previously revealed, Sandycove local Lucy hopes to return to work only weeks after welcoming her new addition and is gearing up for a brand new TV show, set to film in July.

"A few options and styles have been discussed, but nothing's set in stone yet. Depending on what it is will determine if I'm on RTE One -- it depends on what show is decided upon."

It has been tipped that a number of programmes have been proposed for the former Livin' With Lucy star, including ideas for a parenting programme, or even a dating show similar to The Bachelor.

Meanwhile, Lucy and her 2fm co-host Baz Ashmawy are celebrating after recent JNLR figures showed their weekend radio programme had an increase of 6,000 listeners.

labutler@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News