| 10.8°C Dublin

Baz suspended from RTE as he apologises for drink-driving

RTE presenter Baz Ashmawy has apologised over an alleged drink-driving incident -- as RTE suspended him for a month.

The 35-year-old confirmed that he was arrested following a collision in Rathmines last week, adding that "driving with excess alcohol was unacceptable".

The radio presenter has been suspended from his radio job for a month without pay.

Part-Egyptian Ashmawy, who co-fronts a 2fm radio show with Lucy Kennedy every weekend, also apologised to bosses after being charged with driving under the influence of alcohol.

The charges relate to an accident that happened in the early hours of last Friday morning on February 25 in the Rathmines area of south Dublin, with Baz posting pictures of himself drinking in Copan earlier in the evening.

He has indicated he will be pleading guilty to the drink-drive charges.

In a statement issued by his agent yesterday Ashmawy said: "I can confirm that I was arrested on suspicion of driving with excess alcohol in the early hours of Friday morning last, February 25th, at Lower Rathmines Road Dublin.

"The arrest took place following a minor collision with a parked vehicle when parking my own car. There was no damage to either vehicle and no one was injured in the incident.

"While I await due process, I unreservedly acknowledge that driving with excess alcohol was unacceptable on my behalf.

"I want to offer my sincere apologies to the third party and An Garda Siochana involved in this matter for the inconvenience caused. I also wish to apologise to my partner, our family, RTE, all my colleagues and, indeed, my listeners. As a father and a public broadcaster it is up to me to show a greater example."

He added: "I will, as a matter of certainty, learn from this significant error of judgment."

The station said it was taking the issue "very seriously" and has a history of raising awareness of campaigns against this kind of behaviour.

mfinn@herald.ie