herald

Tuesday 24 October 2017

Rodgers insists Napoli haven't made bid for Skrtel

LIVERPOOL manager Brendan Rodgers claims the club have not received any approach for defender Martin Skrtel.

It has been reported that Napoli, now managed by Skrtel's former Reds boss Rafael Benitez, have had a £10m offer for the Slovakia international turned down by the Anfield club.

Rodgers says that was news to him and he would have been informed had a bid been made.

When asked if there had been an approach, Rodgers said: "No, not at all.

"I haven't been told anything about that whatsoever. It was mentioned this morning but it is the first I have heard of it.

"Ian Ayre, our managing director, does a terrific job and he always informs me straight away of anything. I haven't heard anything."

Skrtel (28) appeared to fall out of favour last season and faces increased competition for his place this term following the summer signing of Kolo Toure.

But with fringe player Sebastian Coates suffering a serious knee injury playing for Uruguay last week, Rodgers says he may even need to strengthen in central defence.

Rodgers said: "I think it is something we are looking at certainly, a player to come in in that position.

 

Develop

"One to strengthen the squad and two to allow some of our younger players to develop.

"I think to maximise Andre Wisdom's talent we need to get him some games and the idea is to get him out on loan."

One move Liverpool have made in the transfer market this week is to sign Valencia's French left-back Aly Cissokho on a season-long loan.

The 25-year-old, who has one France cap and has previously played for Lyon and Porto, brings strength to a position in which Rodgers only had Jose Enrique to call upon.

Rodgers said: "I think he provides competition for Enrique.

"He is a player with experience. The idea was to build a squad and to make it competitive.

"Hopefully that will get the best out of both of them."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News