herald

Thursday 17 August 2017

Roberto Martinez: No decision made yet on Barkley's call-up for European Championships in June

Barkley
Barkley

Everton boss Roberto Martinez has stressed there has been no decision yet and that the "right" one will be made with regard to Ross Barkley's possible participation for England Under-21s at the European Championships in June.

Earlier this week it was reported that Martinez would rather 21-year-old Toffees midfielder took this summer off to recharge his batteries than be part of Gareth Southgate's Young Lions squad for the tournament in the Czech Republic.

Martinez in January said he did not think Barkley, given he has already featured for England's senior side at the 2014 World Cup, then being involved in tournaments like Euro 2015 could be "positive for him or the rest of the (Under-21) squad".

But the Spaniard was also not ruling anything out, emphasising Everton's close relationship with the Football Association and Southgate.

And when asked about the matter, Martinez said once again: "Our relationship with the FA is very good. At the end of the matter it is going to be (about) what's best for the player and for the Under-21s in general.

"We are facing the most important period of the season for the team and for the player, so you can imagine that there is no decision that can be taken now. But our relationship with the FA and Gareth Southgate in this case is very close, and we are going to make the right decision based on what is going to happen between now and the end of the season and the needs that there are from the England team."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News