Pogba's 'ready' to make reds bow
Paul Pogba has declared himself fit and ready to make his bow as Manchester United's world record buy tomorrow night against Southampton.
The former United FA Youth Cup winner only sealed his sensational £89m move back to Old Trafford from Juventus eight days ago and hasn't played since the Euro 2016 final for France on July 10.
But the 23-year-old midfielder says he's okay to make his second United debut if manager Jose Mourinho wants to pick him at Old Trafford against the Saints.
"You have to ask the manager but I feel very good and have been training for 10 days. I am okay," says Pogba.
Despite a busy summer on Euro duty with France Pogba insists it won't make a difference when he pulls on a United shirt again.
"I am quite used to this. I played the World Cup two years ago when at Juve and three years ago I was at the Under 20s World Cup as well. So I am okay. It is about your body and I have been training on my holidays."
Pogba made his first Reds bow back in September 2011 in the League Cup at Leeds. His Old Trafford debut came in the November in the same competition against Crystal Palace. After only three more sub appearances he decide to leave for Italy and regular first team football.
But despite being brought back for a fee that edged out Real Madrid's Gareth Bale as the costliest player on the planet, Pogba is not bothered by the £89m label. He said: "I am just happy to play football. I don't even think about it. It has happened, it is behind me I am just looking to win the league.
"My ambition is always be the the number one and be the best. So the objective is to win the league. We want to go back to the Champions League because that is where we belong."
Meanwhile, United are set to step up their bid for Southampton defender Jose Fonte after Raphael Varane declared his intention to fight for his place at Real Madrid.
United were made aware earlier in the summer that Varane was considering his future at the Bernabeu after falling behind Sergio Ramos and Pepe last season.
There was a hope Varane's relationship Jose Mourinho, who managed the Frenchman at the Bernabeu between 2011 and 2013, could convince the 23-year-old to swap the Bernabeu for regular football at Old Trafford.
But after clear-the-air talks with coach Zinedine Zidane, Varane has revealed he is now set to stay in the Spanish capital.
It leaves United to continue their pursuit of Southampton defender Fonte.
The 32-year-old, who was part of Portugal's victorious Euro 2016 squad, has admitted he is 'flattered' by interest from Old Trafford. A deal for the former Benfica centre-back, who could play for Southampton at Old Trafford tomorrow, would likely cost around £8m.
"It's strange that this rumour is just before the game against United," said Southampton manager Claude Puel at a press conference yesterday.