herald

Thursday 19 October 2017

Mourinho: No chance of Luiz leaving the Blues

CHELSEA manager Jose Mourinho has insisted the club will not sell star defender David Luiz for any price.

The versatile Brazil international has been linked with a big-money move to Barcelona but Mourinho is adamant the 26-year-old will not be leaving Stamford Bridge.

Mourinho, who returned to the club for a second spell this summer, said: "No chance he is going to leave. He is a player we want to keep.

"He is a player with four years (on his) contract, he just signed a contract last year.

"We like him. He is an important player for the club and the club is not ready to sell him for any price."

Luiz joined the Blues from Benfica in 2011 and signed a new five-year contract last September.

There have been reports recently claiming Luiz has told the club of his desire to join Barca but Mourinho says he is not aware of that.

He said: "I don't know if he said that. What I can say is that he is not going to."

Chelsea have been linked with former Barca and Inter Milan striker Samuel Eto'o, who is reportedly available as his current club Anzhi Makhachkala cut costs.

Eto'o won the Champions League under Mourinho at Inter.

"I am always happy that somebody that worked with me previously is happy to be back and work with me again," said Mourinho.

"That is a good feeling that I have, when I read something that Samuel is keen.

"It is fantastic for us, but we are going to see what happens."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News