Mourinho handed touchline ban
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has been given a one-match stadium suspension with immediate effect and fined £40,000 over a misconduct charge, the English Football Association said yesterday.
The Portuguese admitted an English FA charge relating to his language and/or behaviour towards the match officials during his side's 2-1 defeat by West Ham United on October 24.
Mourinho was sent to the stands at Upton Park after trying to speak to referee Jon Moss at halftime following Nemanja Matic's first-half red card.
It is the latest blow for Mourinho, who is under pressure with Chelsea 15th in the Premier League having lost six of their opening 11 matches - the worst start by any defending Premier League champions.
They are labouring in the Champions League, in which they face Dynamo Kiev tomorrow, and out of the League Cup.
Mourinho has also been named as a respondent in the legal action being brought against the club by their former team doctor Eva Carneiro for constructive dismissal, sources close to the case said on Monday.
He will be forced to miss Saturday's trip to Stoke City, who beat Chelsea on penalties in the League Cup last week.
The latest punishment is separate from the one-match suspended stadium ban and £50,000 fine Mourinho received earlier this season for comments about match officials following Chelsea's 3-1 Premier League defeat to Southampton.
Chelsea coach Silvino Louro had a charge of improper conduct relating to the West Ham game withdrawn, the FA said in a statement on its website. But the governing body added that it had reminded Louro "of his responsibilities".