herald

Tuesday 17 October 2017

McCoist: Takeover no threat to my job

Ally McCoist insists he has been told his job as Rangers manager is safe.

Reports yesterday morning suggested the Light Blues boss could follow chief executive Graham Wallace out of Ibrox following the acceptance of a £2million loan from Mike Ashley which strengthens the Newcastle owner's influence at the Glasgow club.

But McCoist claims he has been given assurances by PLC chairman David Somers and Sandy Easdale - chairman of the club's football board - that he will not be replaced.

Speaking ahead tonight's League Cup quarter-final with St Johnstone, the club's record scorer said: "Having spoken to both gentlemen, they have confirmed to me that they want me to continue my job as Rangers manager and, as you would expect, to concentrate my thoughts on the game tomorrow night."

Threat

Earlier on Monday, Easdale also insisted the manager was not under threat.

He said: "I have not spoken to Ally. He is the manager and he continues to be the manager. We have not got any ideas of changing the manager. That is not on the agenda."

Wallace was forced out of Ibrox after Ashley tightened his grip on the Glasgow giants, and the departure of the former Manchester City chief operating officer is a blow to McCoist after the pair formed a close working relationship.

But McCoist put a brave face on it as he spoke to the media on Monday, adding that he was hopeful Ashley's latest move would give the crisis-hit club some much-needed stability.

"I'm obviously saddened by the departure of Graham," said McCoist. "The news of Mike's involvement is good news. Of course it is good news. I've said all along the club needs investment, so we've got it."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News