herald

Wednesday 18 October 2017

Martinez hails deal for 'gifted' star Besic

Everton have completed the signing of Ferencvaros midfielder Muhamed Besic after the Bosnia and Herzegovina international finalised a five-year contract.

The 21-year-old travelled to Thailand with the Toffees for their pre-season match against Leicester at the weekend after an agreement was reached with the Hungarian side.

Besic officially completed his move after the finer details of the paperwork were concluded.

"Muhamed is a young footballer who has developed massively in the last two seasons," manager Roberto Martinez said.

"He has been playing as a centre-half and as a defensive midfielder at an incredible level.

"With Bosnia and Herzegovina in the World Cup he showed that he is a really mature footballer, that he covers the ground really well, that he is very dynamic and technically very gifted.

"He is bringing us really good strength in an important part of the side."

Keogh's boost

DERBY County defender Richard Keogh says that a clash with Cristiano Ronaldo while on Ireland duty earlier this summer helped him get over his Wembley heartache with his club.

Keogh was at fault for the goal which gave QPR a Wembley win in the play-off final at Derby County's expense but the defender had no time to feel sorry for himself as he went straight into the Irish squad for their games, including a 5-1 loss to Portugal.

"Getting away with Ireland was a great way to get the Play-Off Final out of my system," says Keogh.

"I played against the best player in the world - Cristiano Ronaldo - and although the result wasn't great against Portugal, from a learning perspective I couldn't have picked a better game.

"The Costa Rica game just before was good for me as well, I played well and we got a 1-1 draw."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News