Thursday 27 October 2016

Mancini to raid City for James Milner and Yaya Toure

Manchester City's Yaya Toure
Manchester City's Yaya Toure

Roberto Mancini could be ready to offer James Milner the chance to join him at Inter Milan.

The former Manchester City manager says he will sign a ‘top player’ this summer as he plots a Serie A title challenge next season.

Milner is out of contract in the summer and is yet to agree a new deal with the Premier League champions.

Liverpool are hoping to sign the 29-year-old, as a replacement for Steven Gerrard, but Mancini hinted that he wants to be reunited with his former player.

In a question and answer session on Inter’s Facebook page, he addressed the issue of Milner’s standoff at the Etihad.

Asked if there was any chance of the versatile midfielder heading to the San Siro, Mancini said: “Milner’s contract is expiring. He’ll decide what’s best for him.”

Asked about Inter’s transfer plans, he added: “In the summer we’ll sign a top player, because we are Inter, a top team.”

Yaya Toure is another target for Mancini, who has made no secret of his desire to sign the Ivorian international.

While City could be willing to cash in on the 31-year-old midfielder as they look to freshen up their squad this summer, they will not thank the Italian for making speaking publicly about Milner.

Manuel Pellegrini is desperate to keep hold of the former Aston Villa midfielder - and last month described him as one of the most complete footballers in the world.

“It would be very difficult to find a more complete player than Milner,” he said. “There are players who are better technically. There are quicker players.

“There are players who head the ball better. But show me a player who does all the things that Milner does well and there isn’t one.”

Promoted articles

Entertainment News