herald

Sunday 11 December 2016

Leicester reject bid for Walsh from Everton

But Everton have identified the 51-year old for a similar role under new boss Ronald Koeman.
But Everton have identified the 51-year old for a similar role under new boss Ronald Koeman.

Leicester City have reportedly rejected a bid from Everton for the Premier League champions assistant manager and head of recruitment, Steve Walsh.

Walsh was intrumental in bringing a number of hidden gems to the Foxes in the past number of years that bore fruit last season with the club's League title.

But Everton have identified the 51-year-old for a similar role under new boss Ronald Koeman.

Meanwhile, the Foxes will defend the Premier League title with the same determination it took to become champions last season, says Foxes goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel.

The unlikely title win by a team who were 5000-1 outsiders was described as one of the great sporting stories.

Schmeichel, 29, said: "I can assure you the hunger is 100% still there.

"We have to go again, do exactly the same again and see where it takes us."

Schmeichel was an ever-present for the Foxes in the Premier League last season.

The club begin the new campaign against Manchester United in the Community Shield on Sunday August 7, with their Premier League title defence beginning six days later when they visit promoted Hull City.

"We trust each other," he said.

Former Manchester City, Notts County and Leeds United goalkeeper Schmeichel said no specific goals had been set for the new season.

"We have never said 'this is what we are aiming for'," the Dane said. "We go out, we work hard for each other and do our best."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News