herald

Wednesday 7 December 2016

I want RTE boss to explain why I was dropped, says John Giles

John Giles will not be on the RTE panel for Ireland's clash against Scotland this Saturday
John Giles will not be on the RTE panel for Ireland's clash against Scotland this Saturday
29 May 2015; Ryle Nugent arriving at the church. Funeral of Bill O'Herlihy. Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour, Foxrock, Dublin. Picture: Caroline Quinn

Soccer legend John Giles wants RTE’s head of sport to explain why he has been dropped from the TV panel covering Ireland’s Euro 2016 match tomorrow.

The national broadcaster faced a backlash earlier this week when it emerged that Giles was being replaced by former Millwall and Ireland player Richard Sadlier due to “scheduling issues”.

Giles (74) last night admitted that he would’ve liked Ryle Nugent – head of sport with RTE – to have given him a reason for their decision to drop him from analysing the Scottish match.

“I’ve never spoken to Ryle Nugent about it, any information that I got, I got it from Eugene O’Neill, our producer,” he said. “I would’ve liked to have got a call from the Head of Sport to explain to me what the situation is.”

The former Irish manager-turned-pundit added he did not know if he would appear on the panel again.

“I’m contracted up to August so I’m not actually contracted to the rest of the campaign. I don’t know what the future holds, we’ll have to wait and see,” he said.

Giles told Newstalk that  he believes RTE may be making the TV panel younger.

“I feel okay, I enjoy doing what I’m doing, I’m still capable of it I believe. I think there has been indications that they want to give some of the younger lads a run out in the games,” he added.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News