herald

Monday 24 July 2017

Daryl linked with Cats

McCarthy: If I was Sunderland boss I'd sign Murphy

Daryl Murphy, pictured here after scoring for Newcastle last season, has been linked with a return to Sunderland
Daryl Murphy, pictured here after scoring for Newcastle last season, has been linked with a return to Sunderland
Ipswich boss Mick McCarthy

Former Ireland boss Mick McCarthy admits that his Ipswich Town side cannot afford to re-sign Ireland striker Daryl Murphy, but he reckons his old club, Sunderland, should make a move for the veteran.

And that would see Murphy link up with his international team-mate and fellow Waterford man John O'Shea at club level for the first time, as O'Shea is likely to sign a new deal with the Black Cats this week, even though he was formally released by the relegated side.

Murphy (34) has a year left to run on his contract with Newcastle but he admitted earlier this month that he was likely to move on as boss Rafa Bentitez had told him that game time would be limited in the Premier League next term.

Finances

Ipswich, where Murphy had one of his most successful spells at club level, were linked with a move for the Ireland striker but McCarthy says that's a non-runner due to finances, as Murphy significantly boosted his salary when he joined the Magpies.

"If they (Newcastle) want full recovery of his wages, then no," McCarthy said when asked if re-signing Murphy was an option.

"If I was the new Sunderland manager I would take him there because he's living in the North East and he is a very good championship player.

"Someone of that ilk, with the ability to pay those sort of wages, will have the ability to do it. I think that's where he will end up at a club where he'll be able to command that sort of money."

Darron Gibson is the only Ireland player contracted with Sunderland's first team squad for next season but even though O'Shea is out of contract and in demand from other clubs, he is expected to be given a new deal and help the Black Cats make a return to the Premier League.

Meanwhile, Burnley have been linked with yet another Ireland international as Jonathan Walters has emerged as a possible target for the Clarets.

Burnley had four of their players in the Ireland side which drew 1-1 with Austria in the World Cup qualifiers earlier this month (Stephen Ward, Kevin Long, Robbie Brady and Jeff Hendrick) but they have also been touted as a possible destination for James McCarthy, who is likely to leave Everton after his falling-out with boss Ronald Koeman in recent months.

But reports in England in the last 24 hours claim that Walters (33) could also be on his way to Turf Moor.

Walters, and compatriot Glenn Whelan, are tied up with Stoke City until 2018 but they have been strongly linked with moves away.

Aston Villa are favourites to sign Whelan as Derby County appear to have dropped their interest, as Stoke have said they will let the long-serving Whelan leave if a suitable offer comes in.

Walters started just 13 league games for Stoke last season and he needs to convince boss Mark Hughes that he can contribute for next season, with Burnley waiting in the wings if City do allow Walters, who turns 34 in September, leave the club.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News