herald

Thursday 19 October 2017

Costa not aiming to leave Chelsea as Cesc questions final bench role

Chelsea’s Cesc Fabregas and Diego Costa. Photo: REUTERS
Chelsea’s Cesc Fabregas and Diego Costa. Photo: REUTERS

Diego Costa says Atletico Madrid are the only club he would join if Chelsea decide to sell him this summer, but insists he is not looking to leave the Premier League champions.

The Spain international has been heavily linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge in recent months, with a big-money switch to the Chinese Super League touted as a likely destination.

However, the 28-year-old has poured cold water on the possibility of a move to the Far East, saying he wants to either stay at Chelsea or return to former club Atletico should Blues boss Antonio Conte deem him surplus to requirements.

Speaking after netting Chelsea's goal in Saturday's 2-1 FA Cup final defeat to Arsenal, the Brazil-born Costa told Spanish media: "There is only one team I'd go to if I have to leave here, only one.

"I have no intention of leaving, I'm very happy here, I have two years on my contract, but if the club want to sell me there is one club I would go to.

"Everybody knows the club I like. Atletico? Yes, everybody knows that, there's no problem.

"I will remain (at Chelsea) if there is intention from the club and the coach for me to stay, but if they want to sell me to bring in another striker, I will go."

Future

Costa, who joined Chelsea from Atletico in 2014, added of his future: "I'm very calm, the only conversation I've had is with the club, for them to call my people to know what's going to happen.

"I'm going to choose my future, not them. I'm not going to change one city and country for another if it's not Spain.

"If the club really want to sell me, there's only one team for me.

"People talk too much about China. There's a World Cup (in 2018) and if I go to China I won't play in it."diego

Meanwhile, Cesc Fabregas has questioned why he was dropped for Chelsea's defeat to his old side Arsenal.

The 30-year-old midfielder started four of the Blues last six Premier League games as Antonio Conte masterminded another Stamford Bridge title success.

But Fabregas, who spent eight years at Arsenal before returning to Barcelona in 2011, found himself among the substitutes. Fabregas had been introduced in place of Nemanja Matic just after the hour mark, with the Spain international unhappy to have been given a watching brief beforehand.

"I thought I was playing very, very well in the last few months," he said.

"I was in great form and it was a shame I didn't start the game. I was playing very well and the team was winning, scoring a lot of goals and defending well.

"That is football, you have to accept decisions. It is a bad day and a shame because we wanted to win. The most important thing is the team didn't win.

"Sometimes it is all about the coach's decision. I don't think I could have done much more this season, it is the coach's decision and you have to respect that.

"I'm sure he wants the best for the team and if he thinks that is the way to go you have to go with it, we are a team. It is between him and me. I have nothing against Antonio, he has done a fantastic job.

"Of course every player wants to play more, it is in the genes of a winner and I am one of them."

Fabregas started just 15 games for Chelsea across the entire campaign and refused to rule out a move away from the club this summer. Asked if his lack of game-time has made him think about leaving, he said: "Not necessarily, but in football you can never say never."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News