City lose £97.9m -- and key men
Roberto Mancini is facing a Manchester City personnel crisis that may force him into the January transfer market.
On the day City confirmed annual losses of £97.9million, confirming losses had been reduced from the £197.5m of 12 months ago, and again privately repeated they had no intention of strengthening their squad next month even if they fall further behind Manchester United, Mancini outlined why they might have to.
The Blues chief confirmed he had virtually given up hope of persuading Yaya Toure to remain in England instead of heading to the African Nations Cup with the Ivory Coast.
Even Mancini's belief that Toure will remain until after City's FA Cup tie with Watford on January 5 seems a bit optimistic if past experiences are anything to go by.
Brother Kolo is also expected to be part of the Ivory Coast squad, whilst Mancini also anticipates young midfielder Abdul Razak will be called away for the tournament, which begins on January 19. But the news gets even worse as Mancini has also revealed Jack Rodwell has suffered a recurrence of the hamstring problems that have restricted him to just six appearances since his summer move from Everton.
"I don't know," said Mancini, when asked whether he needed to strengthen his squad.
"We will have to see what happens when the players are all recovered."
Meanwhile, Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has questioned why Mark Clattenburg chose to report Gareth Barry for using foul language in the immediate aftermath of last weekend's derby defeat to Manchester United.
Barry cannot remember using any bad language in his rant.
"I don't understand why Clattenburg said these things about Gareth," said Mancini.