Anthony Stokes told he has no future at Celtic
Anthony Stokes has been told that he has no future at Celtic.
The striker moved to Glasgow five years ago from Hibernian and started 32 matches last season but has barely featured in Celtic's pre-season build up and failed to make the bench for Wednesday's Champions League qualifier against Qarabag.
Stuart Armstrong's arrival from Dundee United in February limited Stokes' appearances as he adapted to a new role as a left sided midfielder.
According to a report in the Daily Mail manager Ronny Deila held a meeting with the 27-year-old on Tuesday when he explained to the former Sunderland striker that his opportunities would be limited in the new season.
Yesterday, Deila explained Stokes' absence from the 1-0 win over Qarabag saying: “Anthony was left out because we found others better, so he has to fight to get back into the team again,.
“I should hope he’s not happy as everyone should be angry if they don’t play but we’re a team with teamwork and you get what you deserve from how you play in training and matches.”
Leigh Griffiths finished last season as Celtic's first choice striker after replacing on loan John Guidetti in Deila's side.
Earlier this month Celtic paid Dundee United €2m for Nadar Ciftci who is expected to compete with Griffiths for the role of sole striker.