herald

Friday 9 December 2016

Ormond's title plan

Plans in place for The Rock to fight for title in States

Stephen Ormond Photo: Sportsfile
Stephen Ormond Photo: Sportsfile

Stephen Ormond had expected to step into the ring at the National Stadium tonight knowing that he’d be fighting for a title in Boston next month.

Tonight’s scheduled card is, of course, off as a result of yesteryday’s shooting in the Regency Hotel.

The Dublin lightweight’s promoters Ken Casey and Murphy’s Boxing are set to announce details of an interim title fight for Ormond.

“Stephen will headline and it’ll be a really big fight,” says Celtic Warrior Gym boss Paschal Collins.

“His opponent will be top ten or twelve in the world. This is the fight that Stephen needs.”

Ormond (32), a former WBO European champion, has won 20 of his 22 pro fights. He successfully defended his title against Derry Matthews but was disqualified in the last round against Terry Flanagan last February.

Since then, he’s had three impressive wins by stoppage. One here and two in the US.

“Stephen’s in brilliant form at present,” says Collins. “He’s very sharp. “He see Derry Matthews and Terry Flanagan fighting for the WBO world title and knows he’s right up there with the best. He knows in his heart that he’s world champion material.”

Gorey heavyweight Niall Kennedy and cruiserweight Steve Collins Jr will fight on the Ormond undercard.

“It’s a busy time for the gym,” says Paschal. “Luke Keeler and Jono Carroll will both be fighting on Matchroom shows next month.”

Ormond’s demolition style has caught the attention of American fight fans and Collins predicts big things ahead for The Rock.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News