herald

Saturday 10 December 2016

Mayweather: I will fight Pacquiao next year

Floyd Mayweather Jr., left, celebrates during his welterweight title fight against Manny Pacquiao, from the Philippines, on Saturday, May 2, 2015 in Las Vegas
Floyd Mayweather Jr., left, celebrates during his welterweight title fight against Manny Pacquiao, from the Philippines, on Saturday, May 2, 2015 in Las Vegas

Floyd Mayweather added another wrinkle to the fallout of his fight against Manny Pacquiao by saying he would be open to a rematch after the Filipino southpaw recovers from shoulder surgery.

Mayweather has one fight remaining on his Showtime contract and has repeatedly said he intends to retire after a bout fight in September, although after Saturday's fight he told reporters that he is "human" and occasionally contradicts himself.

"I will fight him in a year after his surgery," Mayweather, who earned a unanimous decision over Pacquiao, Mayweather told ESPN's Steve A Smith in a text oyesterday.

His reported comments added to the complicated aftermath of the so-called "Fight of the Century," with possible lawsuits in the works and Pacquiao likely to face disciplinary action for failing to disclose a pre-bout shoulder injury.

Barely one hour after the contest ended, Pacquiao's promoter, Bob Arum, said the 36-year-old southpaw had been hampered by a previous injury to his right shoulder.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News