Looks like Tiger's planned comeback is off
Tiger Woods is set to withdraw from his planned comeback at this week's Safeway Open, according to his friend and former college team-mate Notah Begay.
Woods officially entered the PGA Tour event a few hours before last Friday's 5pm deadline as he looked to make his first competitive appearance since August 2015.
However, Begay told the Golf Channel on Monday that the 14-time major winner "had some concerns about the sharpness of his game". "He just didn't feel like his game is where he wanted it to be to be competitive," Begay added.
Woods, who has been sidelined by back problems which required three operations in the space of 19 months, said last month he planned to play the Safeway Open, the Turkish Airlines Open on the European Tour in November and the Hero World Challenge - which is hosted by his own foundation - in the Bahamas.
However, in his initial announcement, the former world number one - who is now ranked 786th - had sounded a note of caution.
"My rehabilitation is to the point where I'm comfortable making plans, but I still have work to do," he said on September 7. "Whether I can play depends on my continued progress and recovery. My hope is to have my game ready to go."
Woods has not won on the PGA Tour since the Bridgestone Invitational in 2013. The 40-year-old served as a vice-captain to Davis Love as the United States won the Ryder Cup at Hazeltine and will perform the same role for Steve Stricker at the 2017 Presidents Cup, if he fails to make the team.