Tuesday 25 October 2016

Davis finally retires as McGill plots Crucible run

Steve Davis has retired. Photo: PA
Steve Davis has retired. Photo: PA

Six-times world champion Steve Davis announced his retirement from snooker on Sunday at the age of 58 following a 38-year playing career.

The Englishman failed to qualify for this year's world championship in Sheffield, England.

"I told (World Snooker chairman) Barry Hearn it was time to call it a day. My father passed away recently and it was a natural time to stop playing," Davis said.

"I should have done it ages ago, I played a bit for my father. I am delighted to have such a great time in the game, I was lucky to have a hobby as my profession."

Davis dominated the sport in the 1980s, winning the world championship at the Crucible Theatre six times during the decade.

He collected 28 ranking titles, joint second on the all-time list behind Scotland's Stephen Hendry, and made a surprise run to the world championship quarter-finals in 2010 at the age of 52.

Meanwhile, Anthony McGill set his sights on winning the Betfred World Championship after seeing off last year's runner-up Shaun Murphy to claim his third major Crucible scalp.

After posting stellar wins over Stephen Maguire and Mark Selby to reach the quarter-finals on his debut Sheffield mission 12 months ago, this time the 25-year-old Scot dumped out Murphy 10-8 in the same way Ali Carter dispatched defending champion Stuart Bingham on Saturday.

Yesterday, Robbie Williams eked out a 5-4 advantage over Ricky Walden, while Ronnie O'Sullivan has a 6-3 advantage over David Gilvert.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News