herald

Monday 23 October 2017

Athletics: Elite warned about 'pace'

ELITE athletes participating in Monday's Dublin Marathon have been warned they will be disqualified if found to benefit from illegal pacemaking.

The warning has come from the Dublin Marathon Committee and Athletics Ireland and is directed at those competing in the Irish Championship, which is being run in conjunction with the international event.

Athletes have been made aware of rules whereby any assistance can lead to disqualification and forfeiture of medals. Judges and referees have been appointed to enforce the rules.

This warning has been issued following a controversy in last year's women's championship when both the winner, Annette Kealy of Raheny, and runner-up, Pauline Curley of Tullamore, received two warnings when it was alleged that their supporters tried to cycle beside them on bicycles.

CRICKET: Organisations representing professional players across the globe have united in their opposition to an International Cricket Council proposal to use undercover agents to root out the game's cheats.

ICC chief executive Haroon Lorgat said that the sport's global governing body were considering a variety of "proactive" proposals to tackle the scourge of match and spot-fixing in the sport, after charges were brought against three Pakistan players this summer during their tour of England under the ICC's anti-corruption code.

One of the methods being discussed, Lorgat said, was to use agents to approach players posing as illegal bookmakers, and take action against any player who failed to correctly report the approach.

"I suspect it's a case of the ICC throwing out an idea which was intended to demonstrate they're considering everything, rather than a fully thought-through proposal.

"It's hard to see it being a serious runner," said a doubtful PCA chief executive Angus Porter.

FORMULA ONE: Bernie Ecclestone was all smiles following an inspection of the latest venue to join his sport's growing empire.

The Korea International Circuit was only granted a safety licence nine days ago, and cosmetic touches are still being applied ahead of this Sunday's inaugural Korean Grand Prix event.

The Korean army have been drafted in to help with the completion of the erection of a number of grandstands that will house a crowd of 90,000 to 100,000.

"Considering what it was and what they've had to do, and this event has not been easy to do, I think they've done a good job," said Ecclestone.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News