herald

Thursday 8 December 2016

Gary Neville despairs at Ramos money

Ex-captain says £40m plus De Gea for Real ace ‘can’t be right’

Gary Neville
Gary Neville
Sergio Ramos

Gary Neville has questioned the money involved in Manchester United’s pursuit of Sergio Ramos.

The former United captain has revealed his dismay at the proposed valuation of the Real Madrid defender.

Louis van Gaal is targeting Ramos in part exchange for David de Gea, who is set to head to the Bernabeu.

Neville Tweeted: “These reports saying 40m plus DDG for Ramos?? Please no! Nothing v Ramos but it can’t be right..”

Sources in Spain claim the deal will be worth around £53m including United’s Spanish goalkeeper.

Those figures have not been confirmed - and it is not clear how they would break down.

But with United hoping to command at least £25m for De Gea, who has one year remaining on his contract, it would see them pay a further £28m to land 29-year-old Ramos.

One man who thinks United would be doing sound business in bringing Ramos to Old Trafford is former Real president Ramon Calderon.

He said: “Sergio Ramos is an icon for the fans of Real Madrid. He is leader on and off the field. I don’t know if he is the best centre-back in the world, but no doubt he is one of the best.

“He can play as a right-back, a midfielder and he was a striker at the beginning of his career. He is also a very strong character. Let us see what happens in the next few weeks.

Exciting

“It is going to be very exciting to know what is happening. If Sergio goes to Man United, they will be very lucky.”

Meanwhile, Angel Di Maria has admitted he’s unhappy in Manchester - but insists he’s not looking to leave United.

The 27-year-old has been linked with moves to Paris Saint-Germain, Bayern Munich and Barcelona just 12 months after arriving at Old Trafford for a British record fee.

He scored three goals in his first five games following his move from Real Madrid.

But after he was sent off during the FA Cup defeat to Arsenal in March he started just one of United’s final 10 games of the season.

In February it was reported that Di Maria’s Cheshire home had been broken into, prompting the winger, his wife and young daughter to move into a city centre hotel.

And in an interview with Argentinian paper Ole, Di Maria, who is currently playing in the Copa America, is reported to have said he is unsettled in Manchester - but only because he hasn’t been playing.

He said: “Not everything goes as I want, because I don’t play. Because I came with an intention and end up on the bench. It’s hard to tell how I feel there.

“I started well, with goals and assists. I was having a good time, until I was out. It’s a little hard to explain why I do not play.”

He has been repeatedly linked with a move away from United with Van Gaal admitting towards the end of last season he would be allowed to leave if he requested a move.

But asked whether he was looking to leave United this summer Di Maria said he would prefer to “turn things around” at Old Trafford.

He added: “I’m not thinking like that. In Madrid there were times when I was whistled around the stadium but faced it and then it turned around. I like to deal with things.”

Former United and Ireland defender Denis Irwin is excited about the Reds’ season ahead:

“I’m really looking forward to next season. I think the last one was a stepping stone and a building block - the team is in transition but still did well. Hopefully next season the Reds can continue to improve and challenge for the title.”

Promoted articles

Entertainment News