herald

Wednesday 23 August 2017

Reilly set to miss all of league for Royals

KEVIN REILLY (above) won't see any league action with the Meath footballers next spring, according to his club manager, writes Frank Roche.

Navan O'Mahonys boss Davy Nelson said his 28-year-old full-back was left with "no option" but to have surgery earlier this month, and it will be "well into the New Year" before he can resume playing.

"He had a serious hip problem that needed to be addressed immediately," Nelson explained, adding: "He'll play no football in the league."

The O'Mahonys supremo paid tribute to the stricken Reilly for his off-field contribution to their latest Meath SFC success, crowned by a comeback victory over Donaghmore/Ashbourne.

"It was as if he was playing in terms of his input. His influence to me personally was just incredible," said Nelson.

"I'll give you an example ... he is Meath's captain, he's the best player in the county but couldn't play against Armagh (in their fourth round qualifier). He was heartbroken.

"We had a training session the next morning over on the beach in Mornington at 10am. I'm there at 9:40 and Kevin Reilly is there before me. That's Kevin Reilly. Another fella might have went off and, understandably, buried his head somewhere."

Meanwhile, another Meath and O'Mahonys stalwart has kicked to touch on his own inter-county future next season.

Former All Star attacker Stephen Bray, 32, won't be making any rushed decisions as he focusses on his club's Leinster SFC campaign.

"In there (the O'Mahonys dressing-room) they're slagging me and in Meath it's worse - I'm the auld lad now," he quipped. "Look, we'll see what happens. That's probably another day's thinking ... I'm getting a bit old now so I don't know what to think."

Promoted articles

Entertainment News