herald

Thursday 19 October 2017

Harnan urges Royals to back boss McEnaney

FORMER Meath centre-back, Liam Harnan, has urged the county board to go outside the Royals borders for the first time and appoint Seamus McEnaney as their next senior football manager.

McEnaney and Harnan were interviewed during the week and are strong favourites to take the position left vacant after Eamonn O'Brien's extended tenure was rejected by club delegates.

"The people who are involved in this are what Meath football needs at this point," said Harnan.

"I don't think an outside manager is the be-all and end-all of it, I think the players are ready for something different, a new approach," said Harnan. "Those involved would bring a huge amount of experience and I think they would bring quality.

"We'd certainly come to the job with a very open mind and I think the players would give an even greater response to that type of a set up.

"There is no guarantee that the package will be put forward by the committee or accepted by the delegates."

Meath chairman, Barney Allen, revealed it would be "another week or maybe a fortnight" before the new manager is announced.

AUSTRALIA stuck 105 points past a UCC/CIT selection in Páirc Uí Rinn last night in their warm-up game before Saturday's first International Rules test in Limerick (7.0).

The Aussies were far too strong for the amalgamated team for whom Seán Óg Ó hAilpín had been listed to play but the recently dropped hurling star failed to materialise on the night.

Brad Greene top scored for the Aussies with 22 points while Jack Riewolt notched 16 and was a constant force throughout.

The Cork selection managed just 12 points, with Ciarán Sheehan contributing four of them.

Stand tickets are sold out for this Saturday's First Test at the Gaelic Grounds but terrace tickets are still available.

Eurosport (main channel) will screen live Saturday night's clash. The match will be available in 57 countries (excluding Great Britain) and in more than 110 million homes on a pan-European basis.

MIKE McCARTHY has retired from inter-county football but this time, the move is likely permanent. The Kilcummin man reversed similar decisions both in 2009 and last year and returned to Jack O'Connor's set-up mid-season.

However, it is understood that McCarthy - who initially retired back in 2006 - is adamant that there will be no repeat next year.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News