herald

Thursday 10 July 2014

Widow gets s520k over mouth gel tragedy

A FATHER-of-two bled to death after he was given a mouth gel in a pharmacy which fatally reacted with his heart medication.

Donal Donie Kelleher's widow, Ann, settled her High Court action against their local pharmacy for €520,000 over his death.

Mr Kelleher's son, Donal Jnr, told the Herald the tragedy nine years ago had been absolutely devastating for their family.

"My father worked in construction. He was in good health and we just couldn't believe what happened," he said.

Mr Kelleher, who like his father now runs his own construction business in east Cork, said it had been "a very tough time" for the family.







Infection

Mr Kelleher (63) bled to death after the gel, dispensed days before for a mouth infection, inter-reacted with the Warfarin medication he was on for his heart condition.

Ms Justice Mary Irvine, who ruled the total settlement for €520,350, was told Mr Kelleher's reaction was "off the scale".

Mrs Kelleher, who is unwell, was unable to attend the High Court in Dublin.

A coroner's inquest had ruled Mr Kelleher died from a cerebral hemorrhage due to coagulopathy caused by drug interaction and by reason of medical misadventure.

Mrs Kelleher of Deerpark, Carrignashinny, Mogeely, Co Cork, had sued pharmacist Joseph Kelly, trading as Castle Pharmacy, Castelmartyr, Co Cork.

hnews@herald.ie

Opinion

Entertainment News