herald

Tuesday 6 December 2016

U2 cancel gig just before start over suspected gunman in crowd

Police and concertgoers wait outside the venue for a U2 concert at the Ericsson Globe Arena in Stockholm, Sweden
Police and concertgoers wait outside the venue for a U2 concert at the Ericsson Globe Arena in Stockholm, Sweden
People wait in line to enter the venue for a U2 concert at the Ericsson Globe Arena in Stockholm, Sweden
Police and concertgoers wait outside the venue for a U2 concert at the Ericsson Globe Arena in Stockholm, Sweden
The Globe Arena following the evacuation tonight. Photo: u2.se / @u2_se

Rockers U2 were forced to call off a gig in Stockholm last night after a suspected gunman entered the concert venue.

Fans had already taken their seats at The Globe venue when the gig was suddenly cancelled and thousands of fans were evacuated from the building.

It is reported that a gunman gained access to the arena after he claimed to be an off-duty police officer.

When arena security realised their error, a full evacuation was ordered.

Police then swooped in and carried out a sweep of the entire building, as thousands of fans milled outside in the hope the gig might go ahead.

Disrupted

However, the band’s management later announced that the gig would go ahead tomorrow night.

In a statement on its website, the band said the concert had been disrupted by a “security breach”.

“As audience safety is paramount, the police have advised The Globe and Live Nation that they have no option but to postpone tonight’s show. All tickets from Sunday, September 20, are valid for Tuesday, September 22.”

The organisers apologised for the inconvenience caused and thanked the audience for their understanding.

“Their safety is the priority,” the statement concluded.

Many devoted U2 fans shared pictures of the evacuated arena  on social media.

Other photographs posted online show a heavy police presence outside the arena.

Nobody is reported to have been injured, but police have yet to confirm whether or not the suspected gunman has been apprehended.

It is not the first time U2 have been forced to evacuate an arena due to a security breach.

In 1989, a fake bomb threat saw the evacuation of the Sydney Opera House.

However, it soon emerged it was a hoax and the concert got under way with Bono joking about the misunderstanding between sets.

U2 had already played two nights at the Globe Arena, which will host next year’s Eurovision Song Contest and holds 16,000 people.

The legendary rock stars are currently on the European leg of their Innocence + Experience world tour, which will conclude in Dublin in November.

Tickets for the Irish gigs sold out in record time.

Approximately 60,000 tickets for the Dublin concerts sold out in less than 30 minutes.

The tour received rave reviews in the US, with music magazine Rolling Stone claiming the band had “reinvented the arena show”. 

A plethora of celebrities including Princess Beatrice, Lady Gaga, Amy Huberman and Brian O’Driscoll have all attended the gigs.

Bono said that U2 will release Songs of Experience, the companion album to last year’s Songs of Innocence, in 2016.

“We’re going to get this album out next year,” front man Bono said in a recent interview.

“Unusually for us, a lot of the songs are done already.”

Bono has described the upcoming album as having “a broken cassette recorder type of sound”, adding it has a “really crunchy beat”.

Later this year, US network HBO will air two special documentaries about the U2’s tumultuous 2015 tour. The programmes will include Bono’s recovery after his severe bike accident in Manhattan, The Edge’s stumble off the stage early on in the tour, and the death of their tour manager, Dennis Sheehan.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News