herald

Sunday 4 December 2016

Tunisian massacre: Second gunman stalked hotel, witness claims

An image of Seifeddine Rezgui which was made available on Twitter by the Tunisian branch
of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil)
An image of Seifeddine Rezgui which was made available on Twitter by the Tunisian branch of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil)

A British tourist who witnessed the Tunisian massacre has claimed a second gunman may have been involved in the atrocity.

Steve Johnson, a retired police officer, said he saw a man in red shorts wielding a gun as well as a black-clad Seifeddine Rezgui.

He told the BBC he witnessed the second gunman as the carnage unfolded in Sousse, and was later informed by Tunisian police that he too had been shot dead.

Mr Johnson escaped from the beach into the spa of the hotel after the shooting began and led a group of people on to the rooftop.

“There was gunfire going during ... we saw a number of bodies on the terrace and the steps and saw another guy – because my colleague had seen the man in the black shorts and shirt on the beach shooting people and now we have got a guy in red shorts with a gun walking down by the pool and it looked like local people running away from him.”

Asked if he was sure there were definitely two attackers, he said: “What I am saying is the one on the beach – definitely. The one by the pool? Who else would have a gun in swimming shorts walking down in that sort of environment and why were people running away from him?”

Meanwhile, Tunisian authorities have arrested a group of suspects associated with Siefeddine Rezgui following the attack claimed by Islamic State. No details were given of those arrested.

Authorities say forensic evidence shows Rezgui, a student who gave few clues to family and friends that he had been radicalised, was probably the only gunman, though others may have been involved in planning and organising the attack.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News