Tunisian massacre: Body of mum Lorna set to come home as family of tragic couple wait in hope
The family of Tunisia terror victim Lorna Carty remain hopeful that her body will be brought home today.
The mum-of-two from Robinstown in Co Meath was gunned down in the horror attacks on Friday that saw 38 people murdered at the resort in Sousse.
She had been holidaying with her husband, Declan.
The family of Athlone couple Larry (56) and Martina Hayes (55) still do not know when the bodies of their loved ones will be return home.
Mr Hayes’ brother, Michael, said a range of strict formalities had to be met before they will be released by the Tunisian authorities.
It comes as it has been revealed that a draft White Paper on defence policy states that authorities here are concerned about the threat of terrorists operating in the State.
The document, which outlines security concerns including cyber attacks, domestic terrorism and organised crime, was due to go before Cabinet today.
The paper says that authorities here are concerned about the emergence of ‘lone wolf’ terrorists and notes that the emergence of extremist groups in Syria, Iraq and Libya are playing a major part in the evolution of terrorist threats.
It also says a number of Irish citizens have travelled to conflict zones to fight with extremist groups, according to a report in the Irish Times. The paper, drawn up by the Department of Defence, says: “There is also concern regarding the process of radicalisation and there are a range of influences, including the internet, which can enable this process.
“This process can lead to a potential threat of self-radicalised individuals acting alone – often referred to as ‘solo terrorism’ or ‘lone wolves’.
“In addition, Ireland has a responsibility to seek to prevent transnational terrorist groups from using the State as a refuge or as a base from which to direct their activities against targets in other countries.”
Meanwhile, Meath Fine Gael TD Ray Butler, a friend of the Carty family, said both Declan and his son Simon – an inter-county footballer
who flew to the resort after the tragedy to support
his devastated father –
have been working tirelessly to get several outstanding issues resolved.
“They’re just waiting on the Tunisian officials to give the green light,” he said.
Meanwhile, Taoiseach Enda Kenny last night described the terror attack as “appalling” and said the actions of any possible terrorists were constantly monitored here.
“My sympathies and the sympathies of everybody go to the families of the three Irish people who lost their lives there,” he said.
“This is an act of terrorism and racism.
“That people from all over the world would go to a country to enjoy holidays, enjoy the
sunshine, and have havoc and tragedy wreaked upon them by fundamentalists, is just appalling.”