herald

Sunday 22 October 2017

Trial for teen on stab attack

A DUBLIN teenager is to face trial before a judge and jury for allegedly stabbing a man during an unprovoked attack.

The 17-year-old boy has been charged with assault causing harm arising out of an incident in Ballymun, in Dublin, in the early hours of May 25, 2009.

Garda Aidan Kelly said the victim stopped to talk to the defendant and another youth.

"A knife was produced by both males, they assaulted him in an unprovoked attacked," he said adding that the man suffered four stab wounds.

The teen was remanded in custody to appear again next month, when he is to be served with a book of evidence.



Jaguar mauls man to death

A jaguar that escaped from its cage at a Belize animal rescue centre during Hurricane Richard later mauled a man to death.

The four-year-old male jaguar named Max escaped when a tree fell on his cage as the hurricane hit the country's Caribbean coast with howling winds and rain.

Authorities found the victim's body near the animal centre. Bruce Cullerton had bite marks on his forearm and neck, and had been attacked and dragged for some distance into the bushes. The jaguar is still on the loose.



Baby killed by pit bull terrier

A newborn baby died after being attacked by a pit bull.

The baby died later in hospital in Florida.

Police are investigating whether the baby was being supervised and whether the dog previously showed aggressive behaviour.

The dog has been put down.



Football star faces drive ban

Footballer Anton Ferdinand was due to appear in court today to learn whether he will be banned from driving.

The 25-year-old brother of England captain Rio was convicted of using a mobile phone while driving his white Range Rover on July 13.

Sunderland centre back Ferdinand faces a driving ban as he already has nine points on his licence from a previous offence.

He was arrested earlier this month after failing to turn up before magistrates for sentencing.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News