'The children were coughing, my nose was burning', says pool dad
The waterpark section of the Funtasia leisure complex in Drogheda is expected to remain closed until the company has consulted with health authorities.
At least a dozen customers, including children, sought medical advice in hospital after apparently suffering from the effects of chlorine last Friday.
Customers said that they suffered from coughing, sneezing and watering eyes. Two children were admitted to Temple Street Children's Hospital but have since been discharged.
One of them was the eight-year-old son of Louise Dunne from Skerries, Co Dublin. He was discharged in the early hours of Saturday, and yesterday she confirmed her nephew, his 11-year-old cousin, was discharged yesterday morning.
Ms Dunne told the Herald that she had spoken with the manager of Funtasia and as a result, said they are "feeling very reassured".
"We also appreciate how concerned he has been about the children. We do want to know the findings of the investigation, but we aren't taking the matter any further."
Gary Lodge from Navan, Co Meath, who went to the waterpark with his wife Maeve and children Aaron (2) and Lauren (11) said he had "never experienced anything like it".
"My wife and the children were coughing. I was very headachy and my nose was burning," he said.
In a statement, Funtasia said that there was a very strong smell of chlorine in the swimming pool.
"System checks showed that the level of chlorine in the pool was within acceptable levels.
"The pool area was cleared of customers as soon as possible and subsequently closed. A full recalibration of the pool system is now underway.
"We have requested that the Health and Safety Authority and the Environmental Section of Louth County Council look into the matter and the pool area will only re-open after consultation with these bodies."