Teen faces trial over assault on Grafton St
A teenage boy will go on trial in February accused of assaulting a man who suffered a fractured skull and a bleed on the brain when he was attacked in Dublin's Grafton Street.
The hearing at Dublin Children Court had been scheduled to start earlier this year but stalled when the defence argued that the boy (15) would not get a fair trial because of a delay in charging him.
However, Judge John O'Connor yesterday ruled that the case would proceed despite the 12-month delay.
The teenager, who was 13 at the time of the attack and cannot be named for legal reas- ons, is charged with assault causing harm. He maintains a not guilty plea.
In an outline of the allegations given earlier, Gda Niall Kenny said the accused and seven of his friends made their way up Grafton Street and stopped outside a shop at 9.20pm on September 19, 2014.
The victim, who was on his way home and had stopped to buy a cup of tea, got into conversation with one of the group but it is unknown what was said.
The man put his hand on the shoulder of one of them but not in an aggressive manner, said Gda Kenny. It is alleged the defendant and a co-accused then punched the man in the face, and he fell and hit his head on the pavement.
The man suffered a fractured skull and a bleed on his brain. Medical reports have been furnished to Judge O'Connor, who watched CCTV showing the man being struck and ending up flat on his back.