Monday 24 October 2016

Teen cancer sufferer's holiday back on

Cancer patient Shan Tynan (17) was devastated when her holiday plans fell through after the collapse of travel company Lowcostholdiays
Cancer patient Shan Tynan (17) was devastated when her holiday plans fell through after the collapse of travel company Lowcostholdiays

The young cancer sufferer whose holiday was cancelled due to the collapse of Lowcostholidays looks set to be going away after a flood of offers from people touched by her story.

Shan Tynan (17), who had been due to go on holiday with her heartbroken family, is the latest casualty of the collapse of the Lowcostholidays company.

Shan was diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer last year and is due to turn 18 tomorrow.

The Carlow girl's family battled to raise funds to bring her to a specialist in Texas where she has been treated with a gruelling chemotherapy regime, but recently she received the bad news that the cancer has spread to the bowel and stomach.

"We were devastated at the news. My mother and aunt decided to book us a holiday so that Shan could have some time away from hospitals and doctors and Shan can just be with her family and friends," her mother Leona explained.

"We booked the flights to Santa Ponsa through Ryanair, but the two apartments were booked through Lowcostholidays," she added.

The family were then told that the accommodation element of the booking had been cancelled because of the holiday company collapse.

The family were left devastated by the news - particularly Shan - after all they had been through in recent months.


However, speaking to the Herald last night, Shan's mother Leona is now optimistic that they will get to go away after all.

After Shan's story was published in the Herald and on independent.ie, several people got in touch to try and help make the holiday happen.

"I just thought that we were at a complete loss, because there was no way that we would be able to go without the accommodation - we had no cover for the price," Leona said.

"We're emailing people at the moment and so many have offered to help, so it looks like we'll actually be able to cover the accommodation. So it's looking very positive.

"One company is going to donate €1,000, and another person has offered to pay €1,300 towards the accommodation.

"We've found accommodation at the moment for €2,600 which is twice the amount we'd originally paid.

"We have an agent trying to negotiate with the apartment that we booked to try and get them to honour the original price."

Leona has admitted that the family are reluctant to book online with a travel operator that needs to be paid in advance, and that they are looking for somewhere that takes payment on arrival.


The family expect to find out soon if their holiday plans are back on track, and Leona said that given the number of donations they have been offered, it is likely the cost of accommodation will be surpassed.

She said she has emailed all the people that have offered donations and told them that if there is any surplus after paying for the accommodation, the money will go into the funds being raised for Shan's cancer treatment.

Thousands of holidaymakers have been left in limbo since the online travel company closed on Friday afternoon.

People currently on holidays may be forced to pay for their accommodation again or be forced out, and those with bookings face having their accommodation cancelled.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News