OUR drinking water may contain potentially toxic chemicals, a former Yale professor has claimed.
He said that fluorosilicic acid, which can be used in Irish and European water treatment facilities, can cause leaching of lead from copper pipes and meters.
This, he claims, could ultimately be toxic.
Professor Roger Masters has researched evidence about fluorosilicic acid, or sodium silicofluoride.
"These silicofluoride compounds are toxic before addition to water, and have never been tested for safety even though they're added to water delivered to approximately 4.5 million Irish citizens," he said.
The international neurotoxicologist has written to the Taoiseach, the Minister for Health and local councillors with documentation supporting his claim.