herald

Monday 23 October 2017

Stay safe at Halloween, says council, as it counts the cost

Dubliners were today urged to enjoy Halloween safely as it emerged the holiday cost Dublin City Council €1m in each of the past two years.

Dublin footballers Eamonn Fennell and Paul Flynn joined Lord Mayor Gerry Breen to launch the campaign.

Dublin Fire Brigade asked Dubliners, young and old, to do everything they could to 'Be Safe -- Stay Safe' this Halloween.

"Bonfires and fireworks at Halloween are extremely dangerous and cause a lot of injuries and damage," the Lord Mayor said.

Meanwhile, it emerged that the council spent around €2m in 2008 and 2009 at Halloween, mainly for staff resources across a number of departments, including waste management, parks and landscape services, housing maintenance, civil defence, events unit and area offices.

City manager John Tierney told Cllr John Gallagher in a reply earlier this month that the council had started an action plan to minimise the impact of Halloween, particularly with regard to bonfires and illegal fireworks.

"It is impossible to say what the costs involved with pre and post Halloween for 2010 will be for the city council," he said in a reply.

But he said the council was "engaging proactively" with local communities to take part in a number of events around the city, catering for children and teenagers.

A Fingal County Council spokeswoman said: "We urge all our citizens to act responsibly and to report any bonfire stockpiles to the Parks Department on 01 890 5586 or their local gardai and not to leave out any materials which could be taken and used in a bonfire."

mlavery@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News