herald

Monday 23 October 2017

Sex offender didn't tell gardai he had moved after release

a CONVICTED sex offender moved house without telling gardai - days after he was released from a prison sentence for abusing two young girls.

Martin Geraghty (52) failed to notify authorities that he had changed address shortly after serving three years in jail.

Dublin District Court heard he had come "under threat" over his crimes and was unable to move back to the house he owns in Donnycarney.

Judge Michael Walsh adjourned the case against him for six months and told him not to re-offend.

Geraghty had been jailed for sexually abusing two girls aged five and nine over a number of years.

He was sentenced in 2010 to seven years in prison, with the final three suspended.

However, he was released last year after serving three years for good behaviour. Judge Walsh was told that because Geraghty had been under a suspended sentence, the case had been referred back to Judge Patrick McCartan in Dublin Circuit Criminal Court. He had decided not to activate that sentence after consideration.

Geraghty, with an address at Navan Road, Cabra, pleaded guilty to failing to notify gardai of a change of address under the Sex Offenders' Act on October 31, 2013.

address

The court heard the accused moved from accommodation in circumstances where he "misunderstood his obligations".

Defence Solicitor Matthew Kenny told Judge Walsh the accused thought he only had to notify the gardai when he moved permanent address.

The accused was now living alone in the north inner city and "accepted his wrongdoing". There had been threats against him due to the fallout from the crimes he had served a sentence for, Mr Kenny said.

There had also been media reporting which had upset and distressed the accused.

"It is a very difficult set of circumstances, notwithstanding his wrongdoing, and his wrongdoing in not complying with registration," Mr Kenny said.

The gardai didn't have any concerns regarding Geraghty's "current activities".

Judge Walsh said he was adjourning the case to see how the accused "gets on". He remanded the defendant on continuing bail to a date in March next year.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News