herald

Wednesday 7 December 2016

Security in place at new site for blaze survivors

The entrance to the temporary traveller site at the Ballyogan Depot Car Park, on the Ballyogan Road in Stepaside. Picture Credit: Frank Mc Grath
22/10/15
The entrance to the temporary traveller site at the Ballyogan Depot Car Park, on the Ballyogan Road in Stepaside. Picture Credit: Frank Mc Grath 22/10/15

Security guards were on duty outside a new halting site for the 15 survivors of the Carrickmines fire as they moved in over the weekend.

The temporary halting site in a car park on Ballyogan Road in South Dublin was confirmed last week as the funerals of the tragedy's victims took place in Bray and Wicklow.

The organisation representing the family members has also urged the public to give them the privacy to grieve in peace.

While Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council admitted the site was "not ideal", a spokesperson for the family say that family members were "satisfied" with the arrangement so far.

Geraldine Dunne, director of South Side Travellers Action Group, said that the families' move back to Dublin following the funerals was an "emotional event".

Reluctance

"As you know, there was one family missing as they came in and it was really an emotional journey back to Dublin for the families yesterday," she said.

Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council had announced that the survivors would be moved to the car park last week, but added that it took the decision with reluctance as it did not have full access to basic services.

The move from the previously proposed site at Rockville to the new site was taken following protests from some local residents.

"The Rockville residents didn't help the situation in the last couple of weeks, and we will get to that again and have discussions about that again," said Ms Dunne.

However, she said the families were "satisfied" as they were "in the area they want to be in".

"The family has the basic needs up there. They have electricity, water and they are living in mobile homes. They are happy with the basic standards for now.

"We do hope that it is a temporary situation and we would be working with the council in the coming weeks and months to ensure that," she added.

However, she said that no indication had yet been given about how long the families would be staying there.

Meanwhile, Ms Dunne also called on Irish citizens and agencies to "step up" to address urgent issues in relation to accommodation for the Travelling community.

She also thanked local businesses in the area, some of whom had offered discounts to the families after the blaze two weeks ago.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News