herald

Monday 5 December 2016

Second mill body yet to be identified

explosion

A body recovered from the blast wreckage at a wood flour mill has been identified as "probably" one of four missing workers.

The remains of two people have so far been traced following an explosion last Friday which ripped apart the four-storey building of Wood Treatment Limited in the village of Bosley in Cheshire, England.

Fire and rescue teams have been working non-stop to find William Barks (51), Dorothy Bailey (62), Jason Shingler (38), and Derek Moore (62).

Today, Cheshire Police said a post-mortem examination had taken place on the first body recovered from the scene on Sunday night, which is thought to be that of father-of-one Mr Barks, from Leek, Staffordshire.

A police spokesman said: "Formal identification has not been made but, based on the information available to the coroner, indications are that it is probably that of William Barks, aged 51. However, further forensic tests are required to corroborate the identification.

Support

"Mr Barks's family have been fully updated on this development and the family liaison officers of all those affected continue to work with them to offer them all the advice and support they need during what is a very difficult time."

In a statement issued yesterday, Mr Barks's family said he had been married for 31 "happy" years to Debbie and was "a loving father to Liam". It added: "William enjoys building and restoring motorbikes and is a loving family man who lives a simple and happy life."

Identification of the second body has also yet to take place.

Promoted articles

Entertainment News