herald

Tuesday 17 October 2017

Scuffles as city squatters vowing to resist eviction

A GROUP of 30 squatters have been warned they will face legal action if they don't vacate buildings they are occupying on Dublin's northside.

There were scuffles as a representative of a private security firm, supported by gardai, arrived at the properties at Lower Grangegorman, Dublin 7, early yesterday morning.

An agent from LAS Security delivered a letter from Luke Charleton - the receiver to assets of developer Paschal Conroy - warning the squatters he is "entitled to possession" of two properties on the street.

The letter warns that the receiver will "take the necessary legal steps to enforce my rights".

However, the occupiers of the buildings refused to leave and a stand-off ensued.

One of those on the property, who said his name was Shane, admitted that the residents were "squatting".

However, he vowed that they'd be staying. "We'll definitely be resisting this. We are certainly not going without a fight," he told the Herald.

EVICTION

"But they just showed up at half six this morning with no notice whatsoever," he claimed.

Some workers did manage to gain access during the day to construct a fence beside a warehouse on the complex.

Shane says that he began living at number 7 Lower Grangegorman "a year-and-a-half ago" and that since then more people have moved in.

"We have taken over the whole complex. We have about 30 people living here", he said.

"This is a place that we have invested a year-and-a-half of our lives into and we have created links with lots of people in the area and it's not something that we want to give up", Shane said.

He added that the squatters have created a "community garden" and what he described as "hangout spaces" at the site.

"It's quite communal," he said.

During the day, a group of squatters climbed on top of the front gate of the complex in protest at the demand that they vacate the property.

They have insisted that they won't be leaving, despite the receiver's demands.

The letter handed into the occupants of the complex explains that Mr Charleton was appointed as receiver to certain assets of builder Mr Conroy - including number 7 and 8 Lower Grangegorman - by the National Asset Loan Management Limited, a subsidiary of NAMA.

UNLAWFUL

"I hereby repeat that I am entitled to the possession of the Secured Property and the continued occupation of that property by persons unknown to me is unlawful", Mr Charleton states.

"Please be informed that to the extent that you or any other person shall remain in occupation of the Secured Property, without identifying to me or to my agents the legal basis for such occupation, I shall instruct my solicitors to take the necessary steps to enforce my rights," he warns the squatters.

He states that this includes "obtaining Court orders for possession, without further notice or warning".

A spokesman for NAMA last night said the site is under the control of joint receivers David Hughes and Luke Charleton, of Ernst & Young, and that queries should be directed to them.

Mr Charleton couldn't be reached for a comment last night while Ernst & Young said it also would not be commenting on the matter.

Gardai continued to maintain a presence at the site overnight.

hnews@herald.ie

Promoted articles

Entertainment News